You want to see your teenager or young adult be successful and live a healthy life, but they won’t let you help them.
Sometimes you wonder, “Am I enabling their poor behavior, or am I pushing them too hard?”
Often, it feels like you’re not doing a good job parenting your child.
Your child is not struggling, but you want to be proactive in creating a healthy family dynamic through the normal struggles of adolescents.
Our 8-week workshop is for parents of teens and young adults who struggle with emotional dysregulation and behavior issues. Parents with troubled teens benefit from learning DBT skills to help their children. But, you don’t have to have a child with mental illness to benefit from our DBT parenting classes. Even parents without troubled kids will find these skills helpful for creating a healthy home life for their family.
How Do I Know if this Workshop is Right for Me?
- You want to learn how to better meet your child’s emotional needs.
- You want to improve communication with your teenager or young adult.
- Your child is already in DBT treatment* and you want to speak their language.
- You don’t know what’s happening during your child’s therapy sessions due to confidentiality. But, you want to understand what they’re learning.
- Family therapy or individual therapy is not a good fit for your needs.
- You’re looking to connect with other parents who are having similar struggles with their children.
- You simply want to be a better parent.
** Your child does not have to be in DBT treatment for you to benefit from our parenting workshop. In fact, they don’t even need to have major behavior issues. You’ll find that our workshops are appropriate for any parent who wants to be proactive in learning new parenting skills to improve their relationship with their child.
Now Pre-Enrolling for Fall Online DBT Parenting Class
Every Thursday, October 1 – November 19, 2020, 6:30-8:00pm EST
Join us for every session, or choose what sessions best meet your needs.
Full Workshop, clinically recommended: $800*
Early Bird Special: $700* if you sign up by September 5th
Weekly attendance cost: $120* for each an hour and half meeting
We are thrilled when parents want to attend together! Registration fees are for one link to the workshop. If you need a second link to join from separate locations, a second registration fee will be charged.
*Out-of-network insurance reimbursement is typically available for Maryland and DMV residents. Participation welcomed nationwide.
** If cost is a significant obstacle for you please email us directly.
Parenting Class Lesson Plan and Weekly Schedule
1. Why Does My Kid Struggle?
October 1, 2020: We will discuss the cause of your child’s emotions and behaviors. Then, we will introduce you to Mindful Parenting.
2. Creating Neutrality
October 8, 2020: Learn to change your approach to interacting with your kids’ using three important mindfulness skills.
3. What Should I Do? My Buttons Are Being Pushed!
October 15, 2020: When your kids’ act up, it’s important to “put on your own oxygen mask” before attending to them. Learn how here!
4. What if I’m The Problem?
October 22, 2020: We will look at how your home environment can help or hurt your kids (recommended with Lessons 1 and 5).
5. Validation is a Superpower!
October 29, 2020: Learn the difference between validation and praise. We will discuss the 6-step process for effective validation (recommended with Lesson 4)
6. Stop Nagging, Start Negotiating
November 5, 2020: Learn the most effective structure for negotiation: DEARMAN. Past participants unanimously praise this lesson as being the most helpful!
7. Change Versus Acceptance
November 12, 2020: Learn and balance the ideas of radical acceptance (what you are not in control of) and behavioral modification strategies (what you are in control of).
8. The Art of Parenting
November 19, 2020: This is when we put all of the workshop concepts together. We talk about using dialectics (equally valid and opposing ideas) to support middle-path parenting and moving away from extremes between you and your spouse and you and your kids!
If these dates don’t work for you, sign up below to receive our newsletter and be the first to get dates for our Winter Parenting Classes.
How You’ll Feel After Attending Our DBT Parenting Class
- Less confused about what happens when you kid shows intense emotions
- Less guilty about your roll in your child’s difficulties
- Empowered to navigate the normal and abnormal struggles of development
- Better prepared to center and calm yourself in tense family interactions
- Confident in your ability to build a connection with your child while holding them accountable
- Prepared to handle your child’s dangerous behaviors
- Knowledgeable of where to seek extra help if these skills are not enough
Plus you’ll get access to our exclusive alumni facebook group for ongoing support!
What Previous Participants Have Said
I found Beth to be a very engaging and honest teacher. She was never inappropriate but shared enough as a parent to make me feel like I wasn’t just a totally terrible parent and also that these skills are hard! She was never preachy or fake but very supportive and really demonstrated what we were trying to learn.
This workshop gave my husband and me so many tools to use, not only for BOTH our children, but also with each other and at work.
I’m glad we focused on skills and info rather than just a round robin of complaining about our individual situations.
Each week I learned new skills and coping strategies, with eye opening aspects of understanding why my child behaves in certain ways. This has greatly helped me to be more understanding and/or react in a way I had never thought of.
Join Our DBT Parenting Class Online:
If you are ready to learn concrete skills to help you navigate your teen or young adult child’s challenging behaviors, then we invite you to check out our parenting classes. We’re confident these classes can provide you with knowledge and tools to better help your child succeed. Our Rockville, MD counseling center is currently offering this class online to practice appropriate social distancing.
To join our workshops, please follow these steps:
- Email us! Please specify if you are enrolling in the full workshop or a specific week.
- Fill out the registration paperwork and submit your payment from a credit card or Zelle.
- Check your email for your Google Meet invite and a worksheet for the class. Then, log on to your computer and join us for this wonderful learning opportunity.
Other Services Offered at Montgomery Counseling Center in Rockville, MD
In addition to parenting classes, we offer a wide variety of counseling services at our clinic located near Washington DC in Rockville, MD to meet your family or child’s mental health needs. Our services include DBT, parent coaching, family therapy, teen therapy, child therapy, and couples counseling. In light of current world events, we are offering an online COVID-19 support group for college students, and Aspiring to Allyship in Anti-Racism group. We also offer supervision opportunities for clinicians seeking their professional license. Contact us to learn more about the many ways we can help you or your family heal and thrive.
Join Our Mailing List…
… to stay up-to-date with when we are offering our next rotation of the Parent Skills and Support workshop and any other offerings.