Does it feel like your kid (or teen) is wired differently?
Does you feel like traditional parenting strategies just don’t work for your family?
You aren’t sure exactly what makes your parenting journey difficult, but you know it hits different for you than it does for other parents.
In this group, parents will get support, skills, and psychoeducation in order to better navigate the beautiful but often bumpy road of parenting a neurodivergent child (or teen). Group leader Kerry Järvi, LCPC takes an affirming stance to all forms of neurodiversity. He, along with support from other group members, will help you gain a deeper understanding of what’s driving your child’s behavior: the why. This way, you can shift your time and energy toward crafting the most helpful parenting approach for your differently-wired family.
Figuring out the cause works better than judging or blaming.”DBT Skills Training Assumption
How do I know if this group is right for me?
- Someone (ie, teachers, school counselors, you child’s therapist) has used the term “neurodivergent” or “neurodiverse” when describing your kid.
- Your child has received a formal diagnosis of autism, ADHD, social pragmatic communication disorder, or learning disabilities.
- You suspect any of the above features may be present for your child, even if you haven’t received a formal diagnosis.
- Your child is exceptionally bright, exceptionally sensitive, or has exceptionally intense interests.
- Your child experiences intense emotions and behaviors which makes parenting difficult.
- You’ve tried traditional parenting strategies but they don’t seem to work.
- You sense that parenting you child is more difficult, more confusing, and/or more exhausting than it is for parents of other children.
What topics will be covered in the parenting neurodivergent kids group?
Each particular session will cover some or all of the topics listed. Over the course of ongoing participation, you may repeat topics from different angles, especially as group members offer their own uniques perspectives .
- Understanding neurodiversity
- Strengths of neurodivergent kids and adults
- Reflecting on our expectations as parents and embracing the children we have
- Identifying what has worked and what hasn’t in parenting your child
- Validation skills and building attachment with our kids
- Building a lifestyle of acceptance and creative problem solving
- Designing structural solutions for parenting and executive functioning challenges
- Collaborative problem solving skills (this group will draw from Ross Greene’s Collaborative Proactive Solutions model)
- Finding and capitalizing on exceptions to problems
- Navigating sibling needs
- Parent-burnout prevention & recovery and finding/building your support team
FAQs about the Parenting Neurodivergent Kids Group
When will the group meet? Fridays from 12pm to 1pm. Eating lunch during group is both welcomed and encouraged!
When can I enroll in the group? We offer rolling entry so you can reach out to us anytime!
Where will the group meet? Virtual via HIPAA compliant Googlemeets. You must be physically located in the state of Maryland to participate.
What age does my kid have to be for this group to be applicable? Especially true of neurodivergent kids, age is a number that may or may not hold particular meaning for shared experiences. If you are actively parenting a child or teen in your household, this group is for you.
What’s the Commitment? We ask for a 4-week committment and plan to renew that commitment every 4 weeks until you tell us otherwise.
What’s the Investment? For one caregiver the group costs $70/week, charged as $280 every 4 weeks. For two caregivers the group costs $95/week, charged as $380 every 4 weeks. We also require a 30-minute intake session with the group leader, charged at $115.
Can I get a discount if we receive other services with MCCC? Yes!! If you or your child are receiving additional services with us, you will receive a 15% off discount in the form of a credit to your account to be applied to future invoices. Also, we will waive the requirement of an intake session. Instead, we ask for a a 5-15 minute orientation call with the group leader, charged at $40.
Enroll Today in our Parenting Neurodivergent Kids Group!
To enroll in the “Parenting Neurodivergent Kids” group please follow these steps:
- Contact us by email to let us know that you are interested!
- Our intake specialist will connect with you, send enrollment paperwork, and schedule your intake appointment with the group leader.
- Fill out your registration paperwork online.
- Attend your scheduled intake appointment.
- Join the subsequent group session!!
We have other options too if the Parenting Neurodivergent Kids Group is what you need
In addition to our Parents of Neurodivergent Children group, we also have a Parents of LGBTQIA+ Youth group and a sister company that provides specific parenting skills . If a group setting isn’t for you, we can provide individualized parent coaching or child, teen and adult therapy for you or your family members. Our wide variety of counseling services at our clinic located in Maryland, near Washington DC can meet most of your family’s therapeutic need.
Contact us to learn more about the many ways we can help you or your family heal and thrive.
Join Our Mailing List…
… to stay up-to-date with when we are offering other group offerings!